Subject: Re: Netbooting an iMac...
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/20/2000 16:12:33
At 3:16 PM -0400 5/20/00, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:

:)I'm guessing that this might be indicative of the problem, but I'm
:)not sure. Acheron is the i386 server. Philemon is the iMac that's
:)trying to boot off of the i386.
:)
[snip...]
:)
:)If anyone has any ideas, I'd enjoy hearing them. I'm not yet particularly
:)familiar with the protocols. Thanks in advance for suggestions or pointers!

Sounds like the problems I was having a while ago with my 8500 trying to
netboot off NetBSD 1.4.  See
<http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2000/02/20/0007.html>.

I never solved it, as I haven't had time to play much lately.  Edwin
Rudolph <stu12915@westga.edu> had a similar problem on his PBG3 266 and
solved it the following way:

:)Instead of boot enet, I used 'boot enet enet:,netbsd'  This will load
:)ofwboot and then the kernel.  However, the only way this would work was to
:)allow / on the server to be mounted via NFS with the netbsd file there. It
:)seems like the boot loader (or the kernel) is completely ignoring the root
:)path stuff in bootptab -- it refuses to mount anything other than /.  I have
:)tried all kinds of things, even tried something with bootparamd that I
:)saw in diskless(8). Nothing works.

Good luck,

  -- MW