Subject: Netbooting an iMac...
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/19/2000 13:31:16
Hi, all.

I'm trying to boot an oldish iMac with the latest -current snapshot. I'm
encoutering several weirdnesses. The host system is i386 with a kernel
built a few days ago and userland built on the 7th of this month.

I successfully netboot a SPARC IPC from this box, so I'm pretty sure
that tftpd is working properly. Notes:

* The imac eventually gives me a timeout message after failing to fetch
the kernel. (I tried having it fetch ofwboot.elf with the same results.)
On returning, it complains of the file being too small (zero bytes, I
believe).

* When I tried having dhcpd catch the boot request, the iMac seemed not
to accept what it was fed - it would get a response and then just ask
again.

* The iMac is getting the correct address and boot file information from
bootpd, and is even pingable after getting the information, but it fails
to grab the kernel from tftpd.

* tftpd is able to send the proper file elsewhere, so it's not any sort
of permissions problem.

I'll see about staring at the packets that go back and forth to see if
I can determine what's happening. If this is a no-brainer, though, feel
free to chime in. :)

Here's my bootptab entry, mildly chopped:

XXXXXXXX:ha=XXXXXXXXXXXX:sm=255.255.255.0:lg=10.0.0.1:\
    :ip=10.0.0.2:hd=/tftpboot:bf=ofwboot.elf:bs=auto:rp=/obj/netboot/imac/:

I've also tried this without hd, with bf=/tftpboot/ofwboot.elf instead.

Thanks in advance for clues.

--
Mason Loring Bliss             (( "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams
mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  )) build  their nest  with fragments  dropped