Subject: Re: Date ?
To: Isobel <Samuel.Hornus@crans.ens-cachan.fr>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/11/2000 11:38:10
On Thu, 11 May 2000, Isobel wrote:

> Does one of you plan to to provide support for the clock on recent
> macintoshes that don't have ADB buses ?
>
> BTW, how the Realtime clock is implemented on these new macs ? (iMac, G3,
> G4) ?

I'm not sure that any of us know how the clocks work, which is why we
don't support it at the moment. :-)

> The `ps' comand works only when the procfs is mounted. The first 2 methods
> this program uses do not work (a problem with lib_kvm or kvm_core or
> somethinglike that). It's a bit annoying. And, for the same reason, `top'
> does not work at all... (with a kernel that I have compiled on my G4).
> Does that means that I should recompile ALL the sources of the current-tree
> ? If so, I would be happy if you had some advice to give to me, beause I'm a
> pure newbie in system compilation, CVS use, etc...

First off, is the kernel you're using /netbsd ? That will certainly throw
off all of the libkvm code.

If not, then what's happened is that your kernel has drifted relative to
the libkvm your programs were compiled with.

You don't have to re-compile the whole source tree, but you do need to do
parts.

There should be info on the NetBSD web pages on anoncvs.

What you'll need to do is:

1) cd /usr/src/sys; make includes    (you'll need to be root for this)

2) cd /usr/src/lib/libkvm; make; make install  (root here also)

At this point all kvm-using programs which use libkvm as a shared library
(the ones in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin) should be fine.

3) you need to re-link all the programs in /bin and /sbin which use
libkvm. ps is one. These programs are statically linked, so changing the
shared library does nothing for them.

Enjoy!

Take care,

Bill