Subject: Re: OpenFirmware to boot netbsd[was: My G4 turned dead for a
To: None <woferry@iname.com>
From: Isobel <Samuel.Hornus@crans.ens-cachan.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/30/2000 18:26:06
William O Ferry <woferry@iname.com>  kakimashita=A0:
=20
> boot hd:,\ofwboot.elf ultra1:0,netbsd

I was doing it it 2 times. Will try this 'one line' booting command :-)

> And it should do the rest.
>=20
> As for the second problem, my guess is when you did the installation
> process to the HD it managed to install a kernel that doesn't recognize
> uni-north.  Are you back to getting a very short boot output from the
> kernel, or are you still getting screens full of configuration lines?
> If the former, you'll have to boot off the ramdisk image again, and you
> want to FTP the kernel off the URL I mentioned previously (just
> netbsd.gz).  You should even be able to leave it as /netbsd.gz, and
> modify the boot line above and save yourself a few KB, though I'm not
> sure all of our tools like that, some seem to expect to be able to open
> /netbsd if I recall.

That's exactely what we did and it orker just perfectly :-) except for the
problem mentionned in my previous message.

> If you are still getting a large amount of output on your screen, are
> you by any chance willing to type it into an email?  The presence of
> only "halt" in the choices implies that the kernel didn't find a hard
> drive or a network device.  These kernels wouldn't support "gmac", which
> might be the ethernet device you have on your machine, support was only
> added a few weeks ago.  But I would expect it to find the hard drive.

Now, I can type wd1a but the problem mentionned in my previous message
remains...

> Boot menus are possible in Open Firmware, and I've seen a few webpages
> out there with instructions, don't recall any URLs offhand.  The biggest
> catches are it's a lot to type into Open Firmware, and if you get it
> wrong you can really mess things up.  Plus if your machine ever gets
> it's PRAM reset (or probably if you install MacOS X) you'll have to type
> it in all over again.

I think i will just try to put the string "hd:,\ofwboot.elf ultra1:0,netbsd=
"
in an alias 'foo' and type 'boot foo'.

Is it possible ?

> By the way, (re)booting and holding down Cmd-Opt-P-R before the grey
> screen comes up and waiting to hear the boot chimes a second time
> *should* reset any of the values you've customized in Open Firmware, and
> get you back to a system that boots right into MacOS.  This is the
> PRAM-reset key sequence I referred to in the previous paragraph.

P-R and O-F are the major things to know when playing with NetBSD ;-)
=20
> From an earlier email, the meaning of "hd:,\\:tbxi" is to boot off the
> hard drive ("hd:"), using the first bootable partition ("," rather than
> having a partition number before the comma), using the "blessed" System
> Folder ("\\"), and load the file with the MacOS type "tbxi" (":tbxi").
> This I believe is technically "trampoline" code, a Forth script (it
> might be compiled, not sure) that sets things up and then loads/jumps
> into the MacOS ROM file.  I guess you had asked specifically for what
> "tbxi" means, I don't know what it actually stands for (how many MacOS
> types or creators really make any sense, they just have to be 4
> characters..  =3D)

Thank you for sharing your knowledge Will !

> Hope that helps.
> Will

Yes, sure ! thank you again.

--=20