Subject: Re: iMac and NetBSD 1.4.2
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/29/2000 15:52:59
At 1:10 PM +0200 4/26/00, Isobel wrote:

:)    ftp://nandra.iri.co.jp/pub/NetBSD/macppc/netbsd.md.gz
:)
:)In OpenFirmware, I just do `boot zip:netbsd.md', it says it hasn't got place
:)enough.
:)Then I run ofwboot.elf (`boot zip:owfboot.elf'), I quit it (`exit')
:)And retype (` boot zip:netbsd.md'). Then it runs perfectly. The install
:)launches... I am in the install process at the moment (rebooting on MacOS)
:)to get the magic network numbers for ftp install...

Thanks for the suggestion!  I tried this on my pismo (powerbook 2000) with
the following results:

After the first attempt to 'boot hd:netbsd.md', I got the same error as Isobel:
load-size=0 adler 32=1
LOAD-SIZE is too small

After 'boot hd:ofwboot.elf' and 'exit', I tried 'boot hd:netbsd.md' again.
It got much further:
Console keyboard type: ADB
[ netbsd symbol table has bad start address 0x267ffb02 ]

method <`usb-kbd-ihandle> not found; ihandle=ff9c9540 phandle=ff8843e8

This seems to jibe with what I understand of how the pismo is built (i.e.
the built-in keyboard is ADB).  I don't have a USB keyboard that I can try
this with.  I had previously posted to port-macppc the output of 'dev / ls'
and 'devalias' if this would be of any help.

I'd be glad to try any kernel that anyone is willing to send me (I don't
have another NetBSD/macppc system).  I'd really like to get pismo support.

Thanks!

  -- MW