Subject: Re: iMac and NetBSD 1.4.2
To: Jeffrey Flowers <sikak43@gateway.net>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/28/2000 00:18:52
>  While I understand booting the kernel via ethernet, could we
> not have a situation where NetBSD would then use the iMac hard drive as it's
> own, instead of using NFS? I would think that this would be possible,

Oh, it is. Just build a kernel with:

	config	netbsd	root on wd0a type ffs

and netboot that. (Make sure your wd0a is set up correctly first!)

This sort of installation is generally considered to be an advanced user
sort of thing, so the install docs don't discuss it.

In 1.4.2 it is possible to netboot (or HFS boot, though I have not done that)
ofwboot.elf and then convince it to load /netbsd from the hard drive.
However it is inconvenient at best. With 1.5 and real support for Apple
parition maps, things should get a lot easier.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com