Subject: Re: OpenFirmware to boot netbsd[was: My G4 turned dead for a
To: NetBSD port-macppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Isobel <Samuel.Hornus@crans.ens-cachan.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/28/2000 02:41:08
Isobel <Samuel.Hornus@crans.ens-cachan.fr>  kakimashita=A0:

Well, I apologize, I did'nt have looked carefully through the directories..=
.
I found 'installboot'...

...but NetBSD still don't boot from my hard drive.

I have remarked that /dev/wd1a and /dev/wd1c are the same file system, is
that normal ? anyway, it helped me having installboot working...

Under the install-shell, I type :

>mount /dev/wd1c /mnt

ok

>cd /usr/mdec

ok

>cp ofwboot /mnt/boot

ok //well, it seems OK, I don't hear the hard drive at all.

>./installboot -v /mnt/boot /usr/mdec/bootxx /dev/wd1a
>..
>..
>.. [boot?] block 512 518 ... and so on...

Well, if I uses wd1c instead, it tells me the device is Busy, because it is
mounted on /mnt... Is that okay ?

Then, I restart.

Under OpenFirmware,

0> boot ultra1:0,netbsd

    does not work. So I type :

0> boot zip:ofwboot.elf

    and then, after the ofwboot prompt :

Boot: ultra1:0,netbsd

Here, the kernel starts...but stops right at the same point as before I use=
installboot ! eg :

boot device: unknown
root device:
[ choose one from : halt  -> so I have no real choice ;-) ]

So I am to the same point.

I hope I am not annoying you with all my problems, but I think some of you
are interested to see the installation of NetBSD on a G4/Sawtooth computer.

I hope some of you will have good advice to give me to get NetBSD boot from
the IDE slave drive.

Thank you.

--
Isobel.