Subject: Re: 10/100 ethernet cards - followup
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/26/2000 10:54:25
>on 4/20/00 10:08 PM, Donald Lee at donlee@icompute.com wrote:
>
>[...]
>> My naive first attempt with an Asante card was silly.
>
>Not _so_ silly.  ;)  Asante did a "stealth" update to their hardware. Their
>"Rev A" 10/100 cards are based on the Dec 21140A and work great (at least
>under NetBSD 1.4.2) using the "de" driver.  As an added bonus, these cards
>work with the built-in Apple drivers (no Asante installer needed) under
>MacOS 9 and MacOS X DP3.
>
>de0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0
>de0: interrupting at irq 23
>de0: Asante 21140A [10-100Mb/s] pass 2.2
>de0: address 00:00:94:a1:68:f1
>
>Unfortunately, it's just about impossible to find "Rev A" cards anymore, and
>you saw how well the "Rev B" cards work.

I'd love to lay hands on one of these at this point....

>I recently bought a Farallon Fast EtherTX 10/100 card (part # PN996L-TX) in
>the hopes that it would also be usable under NetBSD.  It is recognized as a
>DEC 21143 based card by the current-20000304 snapshot and seems mostly
>functional with the "de" driver, but it has trouble with autonegotiation
>when plugged into my NetGear 10/100 switch.
>
>When connected to the switch, this card _should_ auto-negotiate to 100baseT
>full duplex.  (It does so under MacOS.)  Instead it ends up using 10baseT
>half duplex. I can set it to 100baseT manually (`ifconfig de1 media
>100baseTX` or `... 100baseTX-FDX`), but after doing so the activity light on
>that switch port flashes rapidly and the connection is non-functional until
>I physically unplug and replug the port.  This is somewhat acceptable for
>the test machine I have the card in right now, but I'd hate to run a server
>that way...
>
>de1 at pci0 dev 15 function 0
>de1: interrupting at irq 25
>de1: 21143 [10-100Mb/s] pass 4.1
>de1: address 00:00:c5:53:c2:69
>
>Just Another Data Point,

I tried playing with ifconfig and setting the media to auto, 100TX, 100FX,
and 10TX on my 3x905b.  The 10baseT setting works great.  100baseT does
not seem to work for more than a few seconds at a time.  I can
set it either HDX or FDX.  The data transfer starts, and then in a few
seconds the light on the hub goes out. (and if I do an ifconfig,
the status is "no carrier")  After a few more seconds, the light comes
back on, and I get a few more bytes trandferred.  The resultant
speed is much less than 10baseT.

This was all getting a little frustrating, so I called Asante, and
asked if I could buy a "09-00169-01" card (previous model with
real tulip chip).  The answer is no, BUT I can swap a new card
out for one of the old ones.  I have an RMA number, and I'm shipping
it off now.  We'll see how it goes....

-dgl-