Subject: Re: 10/100 ethernet cards - followup
To: Donald Lee <donlee@icompute.com>
From: Monroe Williams <monroe@pobox.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/26/2000 01:28:52
on 4/20/00 10:08 PM, Donald Lee at donlee@icompute.com wrote:

[...]
> My naive first attempt with an Asante card was silly.

Not _so_ silly.  ;)  Asante did a "stealth" update to their hardware. Their
"Rev A" 10/100 cards are based on the Dec 21140A and work great (at least
under NetBSD 1.4.2) using the "de" driver.  As an added bonus, these cards
work with the built-in Apple drivers (no Asante installer needed) under
MacOS 9 and MacOS X DP3.

de0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0
de0: interrupting at irq 23
de0: Asante 21140A [10-100Mb/s] pass 2.2
de0: address 00:00:94:a1:68:f1

Unfortunately, it's just about impossible to find "Rev A" cards anymore, and
you saw how well the "Rev B" cards work.

I recently bought a Farallon Fast EtherTX 10/100 card (part # PN996L-TX) in
the hopes that it would also be usable under NetBSD.  It is recognized as a
DEC 21143 based card by the current-20000304 snapshot and seems mostly
functional with the "de" driver, but it has trouble with autonegotiation
when plugged into my NetGear 10/100 switch.

When connected to the switch, this card _should_ auto-negotiate to 100baseT
full duplex.  (It does so under MacOS.)  Instead it ends up using 10baseT
half duplex. I can set it to 100baseT manually (`ifconfig de1 media
100baseTX` or `... 100baseTX-FDX`), but after doing so the activity light on
that switch port flashes rapidly and the connection is non-functional until
I physically unplug and replug the port.  This is somewhat acceptable for
the test machine I have the card in right now, but I'd hate to run a server
that way...

de1 at pci0 dev 15 function 0
de1: interrupting at irq 25
de1: 21143 [10-100Mb/s] pass 4.1