Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD on G4/ Sawtooth ?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Isobel <Samuel.Hornus@crans.ens-cachan.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/26/2000 02:51:44
Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>  kakimashita=A0:

> On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Isobel wrote:
>=20
>> Hello,
>>=20
>> I have a G4/AGP/Sawtooth with the ATI128 video card.
>> I would like to install netBSD on my computer to see what it is (!).
>> To do this, I have bought a ATA/66 hard-drive. (ATABus 2, number 1 is wh=
at
>> `Drive Setup' tells me (a MacOS tool...)
>> But I'm having trouble with the installation...
>> Of course, floppy-booting is not possible, so I tried a ZIP-booting :
>> I put `ofwboot.elf', `netbsd', `netbsd.md' and `boot.fs' on a HFS zip di=
sk
>> (100 Mo). Then I reboot to OpenFirmware.
>> At the `0 >' prompt I type
>>=20
>> boot zip:ofwboot.elf
>>=20
>> It is OK, it starts and then, at the `Boot :' prompt, I type
>>=20
>> zip:boot.fs
>=20
> That works (you get a kernel to boot, which you do)? I'd have expected
> zip:netbsd to be the thing to do. Oh well.
>=20
>> Then the screen changes (still black letters on white background, but th=
>> font is much bigger). Here is what I read :
>>=20
>> // blahblah genre Copright California =A91515-2786.
>> // ...
>> CPU 7400 (revision 207)
>> total mem : 128
>> available mem : 111
>> using 1664 /*comme la biere*/ buffer containing 6656 Kb of memory
>=20
> Vous avez la version NetBSD "boisson"? :-)
>=20
>> mainbus0 (root)
>> CPU at mainbus0 : 1Mb backside cache
>> md0 : internal 2048K iamge area
>> bootdevice : unknown
>> root filesystem type : ffs
>> panic: cnopen : cn_tab->cn_dev =3D=3D NODEV // seems to be the key-moment...
>=20
> Our support for console devices is a bit sketchy on these machines.
> Obviously what we are doing is wrong here. :-( But it's not the video
> card, it's our lack of understanding about the keyboard hookup.
>=20
>> syncing disks... done
>> dumpsys: TBD
>> rebooting
>>=20
>> the the screens changes to a MacOS one, showinf an MacOS icon in a littl=
>> box in the middle of the screen, and, under it, the MacOS boot-device e.=
g.
>>=20
>> /pci@f2000000/pci-bridge@d/mac-io@7/ata-4@1f000/@0:9,\\:tbxi
>=20
> Since NetBSD failed to boot, OF switched to MacOS.
>=20
>> Here we are, I don't know what to do here. A friend (working on the
>> amiga-port) tells me this may be due to the ATI 128 video card, not
> [...]

Thank you for your interrest in the problem.
So it seems, the kernel cannot find a way to read the USB keyboard ?
I have read somewhere (in the kernel sources I think) that this was due to
both USB plugs being wired to one, is that so ? Does the problem comes from
here ?

Does that mean that nobody has ever intalled NetBSD on a G4 or blue G3 or
iMac machine ??

Thank you.

Samuel Hornus.

PS : yes my computer loves beer :-) Perhaps it is why it does not understan=
the kernel instructions ! and yes, you got it : i'm french (student).

--
Isobel.

N'=E9taient leurs cris
On ne les verrait pas, les h=E9rons blancs
Matin de neige                           (Chiyo-ni)