Subject: Re: 10/100 ethernet cards - followup
To: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/22/2000 19:37:21
On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 11:03:35AM -0500, Donald Lee wrote:
> I don't have a handy etherpower II card, but I *do* have a 3Com 3c905[b]-tx
> card, and so I have set out after the ex(4) driver.
>
> I did some research and found what looks like the ex and ep drivers in
> the kernel, and they look remarkably similar. (sys/dev/pci/if_e[px]_pci.c)
>
> Well, I've gotten brave.  I sup'ed a release kernel, and built two versions.
> One to test with no changes, and one with the ex(4) driver enabled.
>
> To my surprise and delight, my kernel recognizes the 3Com 3c905 board.
> Unfortunately, it does not work.
Well, *my* 3c905B works extremly well in my Umax Apus Mac clone (ex
driver/netbsd current).

Do you have the exphy driver in your config file as well?

ex*     at pci? dev ? function ?        # 3Com 90x[B]
exphy*  at mii? phy ?                   # 3Com internal PHYs

BTW: Here's my little survey othe range of 100TX PCI NICs I have:

epic (SMC 9432TX, I think this is the Etherpower II) doesn't work
     - kernel keeps printing "epic0: receiver queue empty"
rtl  (RealTek 8139) does not work, it can send but doesn't receive
     anything
vr   (D-Link DFE-530TX, not plus!) works, but I had some problems with
     it on my i386 (see PR kern/7948) and AFAIK that hasn't been fixed
     yet (at least I haven't seen a change in the sources that might fix
     it).
ex   (3Com905B-TX) works like a charm

Tested in a Umax Apus 3000 with a few days old -current.
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.