Subject: Re: 10/100 ethernet cards - followup
To: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/22/2000 11:03:35
A kind and gentle soul wrote:
> [snip stuff about what's in generic kernel]
>> >Ideally, the 3Com cards should work; there's a driver for them in
>> >NetBSD -- ex(4).  However, I can't say offhand if there are
>> >endianness or bus_dma issues which prevents them from working
>> >properly on the macppc.
>>
>> > [more snip]
>>
>> It looks like the lack of support may be due to the endianness
>> issues, and the fact that they have not been tested on macppc.
>
>As far as the ex(4) driver goes that's probably true.  However, I'm
>not sure I understand why your SMC/Asante ethernet card wasn't probed
>by the de(4) driver (which is in your config).  It could be that it's
>a later-generation card which uses a clone chip unrecognized by the
>de(4) driver.

It appears that the Asante card is exactly that.  It uses a "Lite-on"
chip that is apparently a tulip clone that does not work the same.

I don't have a handy etherpower II card, but I *do* have a 3Com 3c905[b]-tx
card, and so I have set out after the ex(4) driver.

I did some research and found what looks like the ex and ep drivers in
the kernel, and they look remarkably similar. (sys/dev/pci/if_e[px]_pci.c)

Well, I've gotten brave.  I sup'ed a release kernel, and built two versions.
One to test with no changes, and one with the ex(4) driver enabled.

To my surprise and delight, my kernel recognizes the 3Com 3c905 board.
Unfortunately, it does not work.

SMOP, right?  (That's Simple Matter Of Programming ;-> )

I'll get back to you...

-dgl-