Subject: Re: 10/100 ethernet cards - followup
To: None <donlee@icompute.com>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/21/2000 12:48:07
Hi,

you did not say which version of NetBSD you were trying to use
with the cards.  If I'm not totally mistaken, the Lite-On PNIC
cards are supported by the new "tulip" (tlp) driver in -current.

Ideally, the 3Com cards should work; there's a driver for them in
NetBSD -- ex(4).  However, I can't say offhand if there are
endianness or bus_dma issues which prevents them from working
properly on the macppc.

According to pci(4) on one of my 1.4.2 PCs, the SMC/Asante
ethernet card ought to be supported by the de(4) driver; the card
you have is at least listed in /sys/dev/pci/pcidevs (that doesn't
necessarily mean it's supported, though...).

> Does anyone have direct experience with the SMC Etherpower II
> cards, or the Zynx cards?

The SMC 83C170 (EPIC/100) cards should be supported by the epic
driver in NetBSD.  (There's no man page for the driver on my
1.4.2 system, though.)

> Am I going about this all wrong?  It seems like this should not
> be quite this hard.

I agree.

You do of course have all the requisite and potential drivers
compiled into the kernel you're running?  Yes, this sounds like a
stupid question, but I had to ask anyway.

Regards,

- H=E5vard