Subject: 10/100 ethernet cards - followup
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/21/2000 08:06:38
Rod Morehead writes:
>In my experience trying to locate a tulip based card is difficult
>because what has historically happened is that vendors started with a
>real DEC Tulip chip, but after a while switched to a cheaper tulip
>knock-off (like the Lite-On).

OK.  If the Lite-on is a cheap knock off, i.e. one that runs the same
software, it should be a simple matter to change the kernel to
recognize it and use the Tulip driver, no?

Is this reasonable, and if so, has anyone done this?

I have several lite-on based boards that I could use instead
of groping around for a real (and expensive) Tulip.

-dgl-