Subject: Re: netbsd and X
To: fission <fission@mb.sympatico.ca>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/13/2000 19:16:52
On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, fission wrote:

> It could be in his case (not in mine, unfortunately).  I'm pretty sure
> that if you boot from a serial console there's no Open Firmware buffer
> (which the X server currently uses as a framebuffer).  In any case,
> there's no ofb device seen when I boot (so no display...)
>
> How would I be able to tell whether or not it is a Brooktree video chip or
> not?
>
> --fission

	It'll have a large "Bt" printed on it :) My Quadra at home is
based on Sebastian which is also a Bt chip, and all the FB's for my DEC
MIPS boxen except one have Bt 135K RAMDAC's. What I'm thinking is that
Valkrye was Apple's attempt at a "Smart" Frame Buffer design to accelerate
2D graphics. This is just out of my own curiosity, maybe once I read a few
more chapters in my C/C++ book and pick up some assembly I can work on
some video drivers :)

	Chris