Subject: Re: Installation on Apus A3000
To: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/29/2000 01:15:38
On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 04:40:18PM -0500, Chris Tribo wrote:
> on 3/28/00 3:59 PM, Thilo Manske at Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE wrote
> something like:
>     Your other option is to pick up an XClaimVR 64 (Rage Pro or Rage II
> based) or the XClaim3D (Rage Pro Turbo(?)) card. You might be able to find
> them from $20-$70 US respectively if you get lucky. I never tried it on my
> friends C600, works fine on my G3 once you change the output from screen to
> /pci/ATY,XClaim...@slot letter.
Well, I don't mind if video output doesn't work since I want to use it headless
most of the time. This is just a small problem compared to the others.

> > I just had a look at the tutorial Michael announced in the other mail
> > and it says It needs System 8.0 or higher - but I only have 7.6.1. So this
> > is a no-go anyway for me, isn't it?

>     If you could get a hold of System 8+ bootable CD and get System Disk to
No, I can't. :-(

I don't have any MAC OS CDROM at all and don't even know another MAC user in town
who could lend me his CD. (MAC's never were that popular in Germany).

> floppy you could do it that way. Or you could manually add the patch to OF
> from your serial console (as well as the OF 1.0.5 video patch). The System
Oh, this is possible? Hmm, haven't thought about that.
I'll try it that way. (I prefer CLI to GUI in most cases anyway :-)
Thanks for the info.

> > No, I have tried it with setting boot-device to (from memory) scsi/sd@0:0
> > or something like that as I have it now. (I tried nearly everything...)
>
>     There was a patch for OF 1.0.5 in relation to SCSI as well as in the
> System Disk patch. Likely OF stupidness. Out of curiosity, is your load base
> set to 600000?
I don't know ATM. It's currently set back to its default but I doubt it's that
high.  (I don't like to reboot right now just to find out.)

FWIW: I've played around with it (I think I tried it with 4000 or something like that
as suggested in a mail I found in the archive but it didn't make a difference.).

Is it good or bad when it is? What would be better?

> > Now I have my custom kernel so I can use one of my "standard" 100BaseTX PCI
> > NICs. But it would have saved me some hours if the GENERIC/INSTALL kernels
> > had support for them too. (I would not have been forced to do this harddisc
> > swapping multiple times.)
>
>     Well they can't fit everything into GENERIC, I'm sure someone here could
They can as the i386 folks can.
I think the macppc folks can and should do the same:

BTW: The first lines of the macppc GENERIC config file say:

#       $NetBSD: GENERIC,v 1.58 2000/03/22 00:58:21 cgd Exp $
#
#       GENERIC -- everything that's currently supported
#

So this is a bug. I just send in a pr.

> have rolled a GENERIC MD install kernel with the drivers for you. I honestly
> don't know how.

I know, but this would have needed some hours (or even days) as well :-).
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.