Subject: Re: Installation on Apus A3000
To: None <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
From: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/28/2000 16:40:18
on 3/28/00 3:59 PM, Thilo Manske at Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE wrote
something like:

> On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 01:43:14AM -0500, Chris Tribo wrote:
>> For kicks you might try the OF 1.0.5 patch that fixes video in OF due to
>> it not having enough time to reset the video controller.
> My Apus has OF2.0, so is this neccessary/does it make sense?
>
> I looked around for OF2.0 patches (e.g. on the Umax sites) before
> but since I found nothing I moved on.

    True, but if memory serves, it uses the same video chip as the 9500 (OF
1.0.5 machines) If you see /dev/bandit/gc/viacude in dev / ls then it is
likely the same problem as OF 1.0.5 is suffering from without the patch.
This URL might be helpful
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/SystemDisk-tutorial/of105patch.html

    Your other option is to pick up an XClaimVR 64 (Rage Pro or Rage II
based) or the XClaim3D (Rage Pro Turbo(?)) card. You might be able to find
them from $20-$70 US respectively if you get lucky. I never tried it on my
friends C600, works fine on my G3 once you change the output from screen to
/pci/ATY,XClaim...@slot letter.

> I just had a look at the tutorial Michael announced in the other mail
> and it says It needs System 8.0 or higher - but I only have 7.6.1. So this
> is a no-go anyway for me, isn't it?

    If you could get a hold of System 8+ bootable CD and get System Disk to
floppy you could do it that way. Or you could manually add the patch to OF
from your serial console (as well as the OF 1.0.5 video patch). The System
Disk code was posted once or twice before, if you can't find it in the
archives let me know and I'll post it.

> No, I have tried it with setting boot-device to (from memory) scsi/sd@0:0
> or something like that as I have it now. (I tried nearly everything...)

    There was a patch for OF 1.0.5 in relation to SCSI as well as in the
System Disk patch. Likely OF stupidness. Out of curiosity, is your load base
set to 600000?

> Now I have my custom kernel so I can use one of my "standard" 100BaseTX PCI
> NICs. But it would have saved me some hours if the GENERIC/INSTALL kernels
> had support for them too. (I would not have been forced to do this harddisc
> swapping multiple times.)

    Well they can't fit everything into GENERIC, I'm sure someone here could
have rolled a GENERIC MD install kernel with the drivers for you. I honestly
don't know how.

    Chris

--

    "I use to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure..."