Subject: Installation on Apus A3000
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/28/2000 01:09:06
I bought a used Umax Apus 3000 and managed to installed NetBSD/macppc
on it, so it can be added to the "supported models" list.

Some notes that may be helpfull for others:

* The Umax Apus 3000 is also sold as SuperMac C600 in other parts of
  the world, so I guess it's possible to install NetBSD/macppc if you
  work around the bugs in the OpenFirmware 2.0 (see below).
  A German page about the Umax Apus 3000 with some technical
  information is here: http://www.umax.de/Apus3000.html

* It's based on Apple's Alchemy board (for the models support page).

* It's the tower version of the Apus 2000 (aka SuperMac C500, again
  should be possible to get NetBSD running there too.)

* As with the PowerMAC 9500 and others the screen/keyboard console can't be
  used (OpenFirmware won't boot - the "CLAIM failed" bug as described in
  the FAQ), so you have to use the serial console (ttya).

  The serial console crashed from time to time on me and the only way to
  recover was a reset of the Apus. Maybe my cables aren't wired correctly
  (handshake..)

* OpenFirmware can't boot from IDE. Don't know why... (gives weird
  error messages I don't remember right now.)
  NetBSD has no problems with the interface; I used it to shovel the
  binaries and sources on the Apus from my i386 with an old IDE harddisc.

* OpenFirmware can't boot from SCSI if the internal (SCSI) CD-ROM drive
  is connected. It does SCSI-Reset-something and then hangs.
  - Don't forget to enable the terminator on the disc and put it on the
  end of the cable if you disconnect the CD-ROM drive.

  Again: Once booted (from floppy!) NetBSD has no problem with the CD-ROM
  drive, so it really is just an annoying bug of the OpenF***ware.

  (PowerMac 9500 seem to have similar problems -> thank God, since
  that's where I got the idea from to try it with disconnected CD-ROM
  drive... I would have given up If I didn't find that mail in the archive)

  Oh, and if your harddrive is mounted in that strange vertical position
  next to the power supply, do yourself and your disc a favour and mount
  it under the floppy drive or somewhere else horizontal...
  My disc went mad and started spinung up and down after a day of
  running in that "standing" position (It was not overheated).

* At least my machine doesn't want to boot after a cold start and needs
  a reset (from keyboard - is there another way?). I guess the problem
  is the SCSI harddisc my Apus has (some Quantum 2GB) wich needs too long
  to get ready.

As you may guess it was a really big PITA to get NetBSD on this machine.
Especially since it has no onboard NIC and the latest current-snapshot I
have used didn't support PCI NICs like the ex, epic, rl or vr I have lying
around or could borrow from one of my other boxen.

FWIW: The Apus didn't like the 1.4.2 installation disk, but maybe I haven't
tried hard enough (bad sectors on the floppy?) since I planned to jump to
-current anyway.
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.