Subject: Re: Getting Started, again
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Monroe Williams <monroe@pobox.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/20/2000 05:01:59
on 3/17/00 6:12 PM, Tim McIntosh at tmcintos@avalon.net wrote:

> Just FYI, I have the same problem with my 7300/200.  Over the course of
> about 6 months, I tried everything I could find (including the OF patch, an
> Apple 15" monitor, plus an AcerView56L and a Hitachi CM751U via an INTEREX
> "Universal Mac Video Adapter" in various configurations) and had no luck
> (I did manage to fry the Acer, although I'm not sure it was directly
> related to this).

On my 7500 (which also uses /chaos/control and OF 1.0.5), the video almost
always comes up at 640x480, 120Hz.  (Sometimes it comes up at 60Hz, and
other times nothing happens at all.  I suspect OF isn't initializing
part of the hardware...)  Many monitors won't sync to this, and
it's possible that they'll hurt themselves trying.

I believe this refresh rate is available as an option under MacOS, so you
should be able do find out whether your monitor can handle it by trying it
out there.  Most modern multisync monitors will disable video instead of
eating themselves when they can't handle the signal (some will even tell
you the horizontal and/or vertical refresh rates of the signal), but
older monitors sometimes just make horrible noises and/or release
smoke.

>> I have applied the OF 1.0.5 patch, too, so that's not it. Is it
>> possible that having an MultiScan 20 might be a problem? Perhaps I'll
>> try switching monitors, and see what happens.

What is the "OF 1.0.5 patch"?

-- monroe
Monroe Williams                                         monroe@pobox.com