Subject: Re: ntpd - does it work? What about NTP kernel option?
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/15/2000 21:11:11
> Correct. 68ks have drastic hardware interrupt problems which Apple
> ignores but (and I forget the reasons why) we can't. (Oh, wait, it's
> that MacOS doesn't care if everything stops for a disk spinup...
> right.)

Both BSD and MacOS have 'tick counters', init'ed when the system boots up.

The problem is, BSD insists on trusting the tick counter for everything,
but on MacOS apps are told not to trust it much at all.

On MacOS if you ask for the date/time, the toolbox goes straight to the
clock chip and ignores the tick counter.

Why don't we just write a user-readable clock chip device, and hack xntp
to use it as an external source? That'd fix this.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com