Subject: Re: ntpd - does it work?
To: Andy Finnell <andy_finnell@bellsouth.net>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/13/2000 12:38:30
At 7:34 AM -0800 3/13/00, Andy Finnell wrote:
>on 3/13/2000 1:12 AM, Donald Lee at donlee_ppc@icompute.com wrote:
>>
>> I'm now trying to run on a PowerCenter 132, and its clock is off by about
>> an hour a day (?).  NTP seems to be overwhelmed by the error,
>> but I'm also investigating the kernel support, and it seems not
>> to be there.
>>
>> It appears that the primary problem with the clock skew is that the
>> Open Firmware is giving a bad number for the timebase, but I was
>> hoping that ntpd could help me out.
>>
>> Ideas anyone?
>
>I don't know why, but I can say my PowerCenter Pro 180 has a very similar
>problem.  I always have a major clock skew (several hours).  I had a similar
>problem when I ran mklinux, and I was told then that my open firmware
>reported the wrong bus speed ( 40mhz instead of 60mhz).

You can let the machine run for a couple of days to get an accurate
measurement of the drift.  Then you convert that to the right units and put
it in /etc/ntp.drift and everything should be fine.

It's true the mac68k port has problems and you can use ntpdate to work
around them.  I'm not sure those problems are as big deal on the PCI
PowerMac machines.