Subject: Re: NuBus Powermac port
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Monroe Williams <monroe@pobox.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/13/2000 04:32:42
on 3/10/00 11:28 AM, Jason R Thorpe at thorpej@shagadelic.org wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 11:18:23AM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
>> 601 support is (mostly) going into the arch/powerpc area and adding 601
>> support. For userland, I don't think there are many changes - they were
>> mostly system (but that means you have to deal with them ;-)
>
> FWIW, I've got a start at 601 support... My girlfriend has a 601 PCI Macintosh
> that she'd like to run NetBSD on :-)

The 7500 I'm running NetBSD on has a G3 card in it, but I still have the
original 601 card it shipped with.  Purely for entertainment, I just tried
putting the 601 card back in and booting the 20000205-current snapshot
I have installed.  Not surprisingly, it cratered.  Default catch at
FFF00300 before any sort of "loading" display.  I _was_ able to netboot
ofwboot.xcf from another machine and get it to ask me for a kernel name,
but got the same result as above when I gave it one.

I'm actually more interested in getting NetBSD running on my 5300 powerbook.
It's a Nubus-based machine with a 603 processor.  I've installed MKLinux
on it in the past, but since it supported neither SCSI nor ethernet (PCMCIA
or otherwise) at the time, it wasn't very exciting.

-- monroe
Monroe Williams                                         monroe@pobox.com