Subject: ntpd - does it work?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/13/2000 00:12:04
Howdy,

Can anyone tell me if ntpd works with NetBSD 1.4.1?  (or 1.4.2?)
I've built and installed 4.0.99g (latest) from udel.edu
on my Power Computing powercenter 132.

I've seen some comments on the list (68K and PPC) that indicate
that it does not work, and I see from the kernel source that NTP is
not enabled by default.

Is there a reason?

I run ntpd on my 68K boxes without much trouble.  They can't seem to
slew the clock, but they simply reset it by about .5 second every few
hours, and that keeps them close enough for me.

I'm now trying to run on a PowerCenter 132, and its clock is off by about
an hour a day (?).  NTP seems to be overwhelmed by the error,
but I'm also investigating the kernel support, and it seems not
to be there.

It appears that the primary problem with the clock skew is that the
Open Firmware is giving a bad number for the timebase, but I was
hoping that ntpd could help me out.

Ideas anyone?

-dgl-

P.S.  Otherwise, the PowerCenter seems to run just fine. :->