Subject: Re: Screen resolution (was: Feb 8 snapshot problems)
To: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/12/2000 13:06:58
on 3/12/00 4:46 AM, Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no at
Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no wrote something like:

> Hm, the screen I have is an original Apple 16" monitor,
> "Macintosh 16" Color Display", M1298.  I don't understand how a
> mac->vga adapter can help?

    Ah, I thought you were using a VGA monitor with a DB15->HD15 adapter
with no dip switches. *checks closet* I had at one time a Mac Liberty
DB15M->DB15F (Mac-Mac) Monitor adapter with selectable frequencies. I can't
for the life of me remember where the heck I put it. I'm not sure if it
would help anyway.

> Although I hate to say it, LinuxPPC gets this part right, although
> that may be because it boots via the MacOS boot loader, causing the
> card to be properly initialized?

    I was under the impression that LinuxPPC uses whatever mode you were in
MacOS at, unless you pass a resolution number flag to the kernel with the
boot arguments in BootX. Mr. Williams response was far more in depth, Linux
likely has a driver for chaos as well. Out of curiosity, what in the world
is planB? :)

    Chris

--

    "I use to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure..."