Subject: Re: NuBus Powermac port
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/10/2000 16:42:49
At 11:18 AM -0800 3/10/00, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>> Well, the simple answer (which may not be the simple or right solution) is
>> to create a new port which uses the port-mac68k device drivers, boot code,
>> and utilities and uses the port-macppc stuff for everything else.
>
>Ack! No! :-) sune/sun3x did that, and then re-merged a short while later.
>:-)
>
>You don't need a different port! There are however two main parts of a
>port to NuBus machines: 601 support and support for that hardware.

OK, ok!  I knew it probably wasn't the best solution, but I wasn't
expecting such a violent reaction!!!!  8-O

Obviously it's better if we can keep common code common.  My point was just
that most of the pieces existed and a lot of them were in a different port
than macppc.  If Charles does some integration work and actually gets
something working on an older PowerMac I'm sure he can expect support from
other people getting it properly integrated into the main tree.

Does it make any sense to merge the mac68k and macppc ports?  Just asking
about the opposite extreme.

My appologies to David Gatwood for giving credit to the wrong group.