Subject: Re: NuBus Powermac port
To: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/10/2000 13:28:28
On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, David A. Gatwood wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > pci*	at bandit? bus ?
> > pci*	at grackle? bus ?
> > pci*	at uninorth? bus ?
> > pci*	at ppb? bus ?
> >
> > All you'd need to do is add something like:
> >
> > bart* at mainbus?
>
> Ya know, you wouldn't even need BART chip support for a base port.
> MkLinux runs fine w/o working BART support, although I coded it up and
> it's in the tree.  Having problems with the memory mgmt. code in Mach....
> :-)

True. But the main thing is that we can quite readily support nubus and
pci powermacs from the same kernel config. :-) We don't need two NetBSD
architectures to do it.

If "bart" or whatever we call it attaches, we are a nubus machine. If
bandit attaches, we're a non-G3 generation powermac. If grackle or
uninorth attatch, we're some sort of G3 or G4 generation. :-)

> > (AMIC or HMC would be other possible names). Then just have the bart bus
>
> AMIC is the DMA engine, which should also be at mainbus?

Maybe. We don't have a specific DMA driver, though that's probably because
everything has done dbdma until now. Probably the DMA controller should
attach either to the hba (host-bus addapter, bandit, grackle, uninorth, or
"bart"), or to the bus (pci or nubus). Not really sure. :-)

Take care,

Bill