Subject: Re: NuBus Powermac port
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/10/2000 12:06:55
On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> pci*	at bandit? bus ?
> pci*	at grackle? bus ?
> pci*	at uninorth? bus ?
> pci*	at ppb? bus ?
>
> All you'd need to do is add something like:
>
> bart* at mainbus?

Ya know, you wouldn't even need BART chip support for a base port.
MkLinux runs fine w/o working BART support, although I coded it up and
it's in the tree.  Having problems with the memory mgmt. code in Mach....
:-)

> (AMIC or HMC would be other possible names). Then just have the bart bus

AMIC is the DMA engine, which should also be at mainbus?

HMC is the memory controller, which is pretty much passive on the x100s.
You shouldn't have to touch it unless you're doing something really weird.
In fact, I don't think anybody has data on it.

> code not use OF, and have the OF routines do something sane if they get
> called (with bootX I think we get passed in a hardware device tree we can
> traverse ourselves).

Yeah, so if the tree is empty, say no such device.  Then hard-code some
numbers in the drivers that really do exist.  :-)

Later,
David