Subject: Re: booting 6400
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Sweda <sweda@advantageit.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/08/2000 19:41:40
On Wed, 08 Mar 2000 20:04:07 +0900,
Izumi Tsutsui rearranged the electrons to say:
>In <200003080940.EAA03541@pembleton.advantageit.com>
>sweda@advantageit.com wrote:
>
>> 0 > boot ata/ata-disk@0:0  can't OPEN: ata/ata-disk@0:0
>>  ok
>
>BTW, some buggy OpenFirmware cannot get "bootpath" correctly
>and requires "bootdev" to boot kernel.

Thanks.  This, along with the the printenv dump that John
pointed me toward helped me figure out the problem is what
you are describing.  I couldn't find "bootdev" documented
anywhere (I'm using boot-device, which the kernel seems to be
happy with).

I've had netbsd/ppc running on a 7500 for quite some time (OF 1.0.5)
and had not come across this issue.  I guess this begs the question,
shouldn't there be some OF-related docs which list out the known
problems in each version of Apple's OF?  The existing docs do a
good job of explaining how to look through the device tree and
ideas for what commands to try, but obviously when Apple screws
up the OF implementation you can end up stuck at a dead end like I
was last night.

I'd be willing to help with a project documenting the OF problems
by version or hardware model.  Is there something like this already
started?

Sean

---
Sean Sweda