Subject: Re: NuBus Powermac port
To: Charles Fultz <fultz@cs.purdue.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/08/2000 15:48:09
At 1:59 PM -0800 3/8/00, Charles Fultz wrote:
>I'm interested in a port of the NuBus PowerMac machines.  I have a PM
>8100/80AV.  I'd like to know if you have any suggestions on where I
>should start with porting NetBSD for my PM 8100, and any other NuBus
>machine.

Well, the simple answer (which may not be the simple or right solution) is
to create a new port which uses the port-mac68k device drivers, boot code,
and utilities and uses the port-macppc stuff for everything else.

Since Linuxppc works on that machine (I think) there is obviously lots of
material to be had over in that camp which might be of interest.  They have
a booter utility BootX (I think) which works across all PPC architectures,
and there has been some discussio of adapting it or something like it to
work with port-macppc.