Subject: Re: NetBSD/MacOS drive sharing ?
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: William O Ferry <woferry@iname.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/07/2000 06:22:08
Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>>Does this mean that we now can share a boot disk between NetBSD and
MacOS ?
>>I have an unix to install on a coworker's powerbook and I'd like to have
>>other options than linuxppc :)
[...]
>If you have a [7-9][5-6]00 machine with the disk to be shared on SCSI
bus 0
>then you can use the port-mac68k tools to set everything up except, maybe,
>the device files.  Even then you may be able to boot single-user long
>enough to run /dev/MAKEDEV.  If you don't fit that subset then you need to
>wait for people to beat sysinst into shape.  It may not be hard, but it's
>not done yet.

	Well, it certainly CAN be done now, if you're willing to take a risk..
=)  I used dd to hand-edit the partition map into shape on my Blue&White
G3, and used Norton's Disk Edit (or whatever it's called, don't have it
handy) to add the correct flags to the NetBSD partitions on a Bronze
keyboard PowerBook.  What's still needed is for ofwboot.elf to recognize
these partitions and offer a default boot path..  =)  Also note that the
Blue&White G3 still has the issue where if you access the internal HD in
Open Firmware it becomes unusable to NetBSD.  Fortunately I have a zip
disk and was able to fake a bootable System Folder that boots a NetBSD
kernel (and I was able to do most of that with hfsutils!  =)

	On the PowerBook note, has anybody tried NetBSD on the new "PowerBook
(FireWire)"?  I tried one and Open Firmware displayed it's "Loading ELF"
message then the system locked hard (no messages displayed by the kernel
at all).  This machine should be based on the same chipset as the G4,
newest iMac, and iBook...  Any thoughts as to where I should even start looking?

	Thanks in advance.
                                      Will