Subject: Rev 1 Beige G3 master/slave: Giving up for now
From: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/05/2000 22:09:37
If anyone is following along, I'm giving up on dual booting with
master/slave for now. I've been having all sorts of strange and backward
things happening to me, i.e.

Trying to boot with ideX/@A where X is from 0-1 and A is from 0-65535 always
goes to the master device no matter what I try, except in two paragraphs
down where for some reason when I typed boot ide0/@1:1 IIRC, it tried
booting from my CDROM on channel 1!!! Did I mention that this OF
implementation blows? (2.0f1 on Beige Rev 1 G3/DT/233)

With CDROM as master and WD24300L as slave on channel one, MacOS completely
and utterly ignores the entire channel, the bus is not listed in System
Profiler and no drives are listed in Drive setup. If I reverse to CDROM as
slave and WD as master, the WD shows up, but the CD does not. I'd really
like an explanation on that. Booting the 1.4.1 install floppy shows all
drives correctly regardless of their position or ID.

I switched the WD24300L to the master on channel zero with a WD26400B
(MacOS) as the slave drive. NetBSD booted to the file system selection and
for several tried either

a.) the keyboard stopped working after I typed a few letters(?)

b.) (pertinent parts, I'll include the full dmesg if its helpful)
wd0 at wdc0 channel 0 drive 0: <WDC AC24300L>
wd1 at wdc0 channel 0 drive 1: <WDC AC26400B>
atapibus0 at wdc1 channel 0
cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0 <MATSHITA CD-585, ,ZS20> type 5 cdrom removable
root on wd0a dumps on wd0b
wdc0:0:0: lost interrupt
    type: ata
    c-bcount: 512
    c-skip: 0
wdc0:0:0: setmulti timed out
wd0c: device timeout reading fsbn 0 (wd0 bn0; cn0 tn0 sn0), retrying
trap type 400 at 48100790
Stopped at 0x28fd84: lwz r0, r1, 0x14
db> examine
0x28fd84:   80010014
db> ps
PID     PPID    PGRP    UID S   FLAGS   COMMAND WAIT
0       -1      0       0   3   0x20204 swapper biowait
db> trace: returned several lines of identical nonsense: ?xffffffff or
something like that

c.)
wd0: soft error (corrected)
wd0: NetBSD disklabel
panic: lockmgr: locking against myself
stopped in swapctl at 0x28fd84 lwz r0, r1, 0x14
db> tried to sync and reboot but couldn't sync and halted system.

d.) after several tried, it all of the sudden started working fine, not a
single error at boot up. (Thermal recal's confusing NetBSD?)

    However, while NetBSD would work on channel 0 master, I could not boot
MacOS from the slave drive. Which leaves me at the point where I have to
move the monitor off of my system, open it up and switch cables/jumpers
every time I want to switch OS's. When I get enough programming/HW knowledge
I'll invest in a PCI ATA/33 or ATA/66 card and see about throwing my CD and
MacOS drives on it. Promax has a "certified" ATA/33 card that is dual
channel with master/slave support. I don't know if it has OF support, but it
looked like it had an optional ROM chip IIRC.
    So for now I'm only using MacOS on my G3 and much slower DEC MIPS/VAX
boxes for NetBSD. "So much time, so little knowledge." If someone could give
me so more info on OF in a Rev 2 Beige G3 or has some other leads, I'll be
glad to try them when I get some free time. *shrug* I was thinking that if
there was a way to talk to Heathrow directly and get the physical
address/interrupts of each device that maybe you could boot from OF that
way, but I don't know enough to even start looking at that.

    Chris