Subject: Re: how to format/partition a SCSI disk for a PowerMac 8500 (OF
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/29/2000 10:38:52
At 4:50 PM -0800 2/28/00, Bob Nestor wrote:
>Henry B. Hotz  (hotz@jpl.nasa.gov) wrote:
>>>
>>>Sort of.  Mkfs can't handle IDE disks at all right now, nor can it handle
>>>SCSI disks on Bus 1.  On my G3 system that's where the SCSI disk hangs.
>>
>>Ah.
>>
>>I hadn't thought about that.  I have [78]500 machines and scsi-int is bus
>>0.  I guess I'm lucky and most people really are in trouble.
>
>Great!  Then you should be able to run Mkfs and the Installer and put a
>macppc system on the disk.  I'm not sure if the Installer "Build Devices"
>will work, but it's worth a shot.  I don't know how you'd fix it if it
>didn't work though.  It's not as easy as fixing fstab. ;-)

I think I'd fix it by booting from the install floppy, and then just
running the dev/MAKEDEV script.  No wait, the current install floppy
probably wouldn't find the disklabel would it.  *sigh*  Worth a shot as you
say.  Only need enough to be able to run the script and reboot.

Given a working system I think I could fix that myself though.  I may play
with it in a few weeks on this 7500 when my G4 is running properly.  I'm
thinking of reserving 10GB of the 20 on it to allow a tripple boot into
MacOS 9, MacOS X, and NetBSD so I can help with testing the uninorth
support.