Subject: Re: HFS & us
To: Jake Luck <netbsd@10k.org>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/29/2000 06:46:37
Jake Luck  (netbsd@10k.org) wrote:

>> It would actually be much easier to just build sysinst/68k for the macppc
>> port and use it since it will partition the disk with both HFS and FFS
>> partitions.
>
>Hi, Bob:
>
>thanks for the reply. Maybe i had misunderstood you, but upon examining
>today's CVS tree
>
>/usr/src/distrib/utils/sysinst/arch/macppc/md.c
>/usr/src/distrib/utils/sysinst/arch/mac68k/md.c
>
>still seems very different. So the equivalent changes in the macppc hasn't
>been made?

This is correct.  Sysinst/macppc only knows how to populate a dedicated
disk; it does not know how to partition and populated an HFS disk like
sysinst/mac68k.  As far as I know no one has tried pulling sysinst/mac68k
into the macppc port. My efforts to do so have been hampered by system
crashes trying to build the parts and pieces of an Installation kernel
for it.  The sysinst/mac68k code shouldn't have much problem running on
the macppc port.  The Apple disk Partition Map is identical for both
mac68k and macppc systems.

You have identified the correct file, but you still need to grovel around
and find out where the bootstrap is written so it can be disabled.  It's
not in this file but there is probably a call in here that invokes the
routine that does the job.

Hope this helps,
-bob