Subject: Re: That 20000205 snapshot...
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/27/2000 18:02:24
On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 27, 2000 at 01:14:02PM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> Just successfully compiled a 1.4T kernel with all my hardware pinnings
> and BUFPAGES setting, and I put it at /netbsd-14P and will move it to
> /netbsd by mounting the drive at /mnt from the boot floppy.

I'd say boot it first to make sure. What I do is make the new kernel
netbsd.new, and manyally boot it. Then if it comes up single-user, I link
it to netbsd. That way if the machine dies/reboots, it comes back to a
good kernel.

> > As time goes by, new syscalls get added, and libc (and other libraries and
> > programs) get updated to use them. If you have a libc and/or programs
> > written for syscalls your kernel lacks, you will have a lot of core
> > dumping. Some times it doesn't matter much, sometimes even init won't
> > work (i.e. you won't boot). :-)
>
> Well, hey I persuaded a 1.4P kernel to boot on a 1.4.1 system, so...

Right. The 1.4P kernel is much newer than the 1.4.1 userland was
expecting. Since it had backwards compatibility enabled, it was fine. :-)

Take care,

BIll