Subject: Master/Slaving on Rev 1 machines *does anyone know this?*
From: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/27/2000 16:28:16
    I was feeling adventuresome today, so I dug out my double ended IDE
cable and connected my CD back onto the chain, fully expecting it not to
work, but to my great surprise, it works!
    I've got a rev.1 Beige G3/DT/233 with a WD26400B (4.3GB DMA/33 my MacOS
HD) on Channel 0 and I've got a WD24300L (4.3GB DMA/33 NetBSD 1.4.1), as
well as the Matsushita CR-585(?) DMA CD-ROM, and all three of them work
under NetBSD :)
    For those of you in the same situation I am (rev 1 B&W G3's as well),
all you need is a double ended IDE cable, (have not tested this yet) and
whatever drive you have set to Master will work with MacOS as well. So if
you set your CD-ROM to Master and your second HD to slave, MacOS shouldn't
be able to see your NetBSD drive, and continue happily working along. I'll
try it later tonight and get back to the list if someone wants to know.
    It took me 15.5 minutes to compile the 1.4P kernel! I think I'll try
building 1.4P from source and see how long it takes later this week :)

    Chris

BTW: Thanks to whomever(s) wrote the ATA/ATAPI code, it's nice to know that
it could easily have been fixed by Apple, and just wasn't :-)

--
    "I use to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure..."