Subject: Re: That 20000205 snapshot...
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/27/2000 16:18:01
on 2/27/00 12:52 AM, gabriel rosenkoetter at gr@eclipsed.net wrote:

> My concern is less that I have no devices than that I have
> incompatible ones, especially as regards tty{E|e}0 and wscons. I guess
> that running MAKEDEV unnecessarily couldn't do a whole lot of harm.
>
> Do I need to update MAKEDEV separately? There exists no dev.tgz, but
> that's the kind of thing that's probably in base.tgz...
>
> I'll wait for any "eek! no don't do that!" email and then give this a
> shot tomorrow.

    Nope, sysinst does cd /dev ./MAKEDEV all for you when you complete the
install set extraction. It will inform you when it is. If it doesn't then
just mount your target disk and do ./MAKEDEV all. IIRC the MAKEDEV scripts
are in base.tgz, but I can't check now. Just happily got my Beige G3 to
build a custom 1.4P kernel 15.5 minutes from make depend to completion!!! It
takes my 40MHz DECstation about 2 1/2 hours! Anyway, good luck with it.

    Chris

--
    "I use to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure..."