Subject: Re: That 20000205 snapshot...
To: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/27/2000 00:26:26
On Sun, Feb 27, 2000 at 12:14:53AM -0500, Chris Tribo wrote:
> on 2/26/00 9:48 PM, gabriel rosenkoetter at gr@eclipsed.net wrote:
> > 0) Would I be better advised to do a dump of my entire drive to the
> > (copious) free space on the Sun clients in cs.swarthmore.edu?
>
>     Better to deal with it on the machine you are using unless there is some
> other influencing factor.

Is "there's no tape drive and no other free disk" enough?

There're about 4 gigs free on every one of the twenty or so Sun
workstations around the lab here, I can do a dump to them (and restore
from them) easily. Oh, wait, maybe not the second half, come to think
of it...

> > 1) Is there an OF upgrade from Apple that will work with the 7500?
>
>     Yes I'm sure their is, three problems though: 1.) Finding one 2.) You
> are probably talking in excess of $50-$75 unless you find a DOA system on
> ebay or something. 3.) Finding an OF simm that will work with your system
> and do what you want it to do. What necessitates you wanting one? There are
> places around that have them. Sun Remarketing comes to mind.

Oh, I was thinking of the update-my-firmware-with-software variety.
I'm not *that* bothered by the early OF. (Though... I may look for one
eventually.)

> > Can I continue using this kernel with the 20000205 snapshot?
>     Yes, but it isn't advisable. Your system should be able to boot fine on
> it, but I would recommend building a new one before you go compiling
> anything else or using the system.

Sensible. That was really the plan anyhow...

> > Should I build a new kernel with my configuration before doing the
> > installation and move it to /netbsd while on the boot floppy?
>
>     Your best bet would be to build a new install kernel, less of a hassle I
> think, but I've never tried it either way.

Erm... how do you mean?

Do you mean for me to boot from an install-specific kernel and run
sysinst without ever booting from the floppy?

Or do you mean to build a new kernel and install it with the floppy
in place of the one in kern.tgz?

> > Or do I *really* have to install kern.tgz because it includes more
> > than just a kernel?
>     No, its just the GENERIC kernel, it won't fit in the install
> kernel/diskimage. Shouldn't be a problem to move it over after the install.

I think I missed something there...

Move what over where after the install?

Oh, wait, I get it... build the new kernel with the current system,
boot from the floppy, install the packages (minus kern and etc), move
the new kernel over (presevering my 1.4P one).

If that's what you meant, that makes a lot of sense to me.

> > I'm well aware that the binary distribution won't write over things
> > like /usr/local, /home, and /chroot (which contains BIND, postfix, and
> > a couple of other daemons I don't really trust), but can someone else
> > say so so that I feel better?
>     I have no idea.

Good enough!

(Judging by what scrolls across the screen during a mac68k install -
one of which is going on right behind me - I don't need to worry as
none of the tar balls have anything destined for these directories.)

> > 4) Anything I'm missing towards this goal?
>     Back up your /etc and /var if you can/have a need to.

Sensible.

What about devices? Do I need run MAKEDEV with the new system? With a
new MAKEDEV? Change flags in my kernel setup (on behalf of wscons, I'd
guess)?

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net