Subject: Re: That 20000205 snapshot...
To: gabriel rosenkoetter , <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/27/2000 00:14:53
on 2/26/00 9:48 PM, gabriel rosenkoetter at gr@eclipsed.net wrote:

> Some questions...
>
> 0) Would I be better advised to do a dump of my entire drive to the
> (copious) free space on the Sun clients in cs.swarthmore.edu?

    Better to deal with it on the machine you are using unless there is some
other influencing factor.

> (I can get away with it - there's space and I administrate them
> anyway.)
>
> 1) Is there an OF upgrade from Apple that will work with the 7500?

    Yes I'm sure their is, three problems though: 1.) Finding one 2.) You
are probably talking in excess of $50-$75 unless you find a DOA system on
ebay or something. 3.) Finding an OF simm that will work with your system
and do what you want it to do. What necessitates you wanting one? There are
places around that have them. Sun Remarketing comes to mind.

<snip>

> Can I continue using this kernel with the 20000205 snapshot?

    Yes, but it isn't advisable. Your system should be able to boot fine on
it, but I would recommend building a new one before you go compiling
anything else or using the system.

> Should I build a new kernel with my configuration before doing the
> installation and move it to /netbsd while on the boot floppy?

    Your best bet would be to build a new install kernel, less of a hassle I
think, but I've never tried it either way.

> Or do I *really* have to install kern.tgz because it includes more
> than just a kernel?

    No, its just the GENERIC kernel, it won't fit in the install
kernel/diskimage. Shouldn't be a problem to move it over after the install.

> I'm well aware that the binary distribution won't write over things
> like /usr/local, /home, and /chroot (which contains BIND, postfix, and
> a couple of other daemons I don't really trust), but can someone else
> say so so that I feel better?

    I have no idea.

> 4) Anything I'm missing towards this goal?

    Back up your /etc and /var if you can/have a need to.

Hope that helps.

    Chris

--
    "I use to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure..."