Subject: Re: Support for ATI XCLAIM PCI card
To: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/26/2000 17:55:01
On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Chris Tribo wrote:

> on 2/23/00 5:51 PM, Dan Winship at danw@helixcode.com wrote:
>
> > There's code for it in linuxppc, and also in the latest version of
> > XFree86. The linuxppc code has all sorts of Linux kernelisms in it,
> > but it might still be easier to work from than the XFree86 code, which
> > has all sorts of PCisms in it. Either way it's just a matter of taking
> > the code and rewriting it as a (reasonably arch- and bus-independent)
> > wsdisplay...
> >
> > I don't know of anyone who is working on this right now.

I know a few folks who are working on this for port-alpha & wscons.

>     Hmm, but doesn't XFree86 already have drivers for just about every video
> card that you could want to shove in a PCI slot? Does anyone know if the
> XClaimVR is the exact same card as the All in Wonder Pro, only with OF
> support? Since I'm connected to a VGA monitor, it doesn't do mac autosense
> and I'm always at 1024x768 at 60 Hz (yuck!), X sure is snappy though :)

Kinda. Many XFree86 drivers are Linux86-only, at least for everything
before 3.9. Many assume little-endian, and a few (like the one for my
Savage4 card in my i386) are Linux-only. So they don't "just work" on
macppc. :-(

Take care,

Bill