Subject: Re: how to format/partition a SCSI disk for a PowerMac 8500 (OF 1.0.5)
To: Dan Winship <danw@helixcode.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/23/2000 18:02:45
Dan Winship  (danw@helixcode.com) wrote:

>Ignoring the Mac partition support in NetBSD since it's not
>complete...
>
>NetBSD/macppc uses standard NetBSD disklabels, so you partition the
>disk with disklabel. If you want to boot off it, you should run
>installboot (exact invocation is given in the FAQ at least, and maybe
>the install docs), which will create a vestigial Mac partition map as
>well. (Which NetBSD won't use.)
>
>> OF claimed that there was no bootable HFS partition (true enough - I
>> allocated all FFS+swap partitions). Arrrgh.
>
>If you're booting off whatever:0, it shouldn't be looking for an HFS
>partition. It's possible that installboot will do the wrong thing
>somehow if you run it on a disk that already has a Mac partition map.
>(I'm not sure.)
>
>> Which MacOS tool to use for that?
>
>There's no MacOS tool currently in existence that will let you set up
>the disk to be NetBSD-bootable.

I think this is true, but we're not far from being able to do this.  The
Mac68k port has a working version of sysinst that will partition the disk
with and without MacOS partitions.  It's been combined with an
Installation Kernel, so installation is similar to that of other ports
which use sysinst.  It should be possible to build it into an
Installation Kernel for the Macppc port and, since the Apple Partition
Maps are the same, it should work.  However, the Mac68k port doesn't
support direct hardware boot so some changes would be needed to add the
code for writing the bootstrap onto the disk.  Also, the code is still
being tested and in some cases and on some systems has problems updating
the Apple Partition Map, but it does seem to work on a fair number of
systems. (Some of these problems may be in the MI portion of code since
they mirror problems reported on other ports.)

This is one of the things I was working on for the Macppc (and Mac68k)
ports, but I've had a number of problems with crashes on my G3 while
trying to build systems.  I was also out of pocket for some time with an
injury, but now that I'm back at work (and the Macppc port has made some
significant progress), I hope to get back on this effort.  I wouldn't
discourage anyone from taking the mac68k/sysinst code and trying it in an
Installation kernel on the Macppc port, and would be more than willing to
offer my help or knowledge since I was the original hacker of the
mac68k/sysinst code.

-bob