Subject: how to format/partition a SCSI disk for a PowerMac 8500 (OF 1.0.5)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Erik Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/23/2000 04:14:07
I hate floppies. unreliable little dust collectors...

I finally got my 8500/150 to boot the 1.4.2_ALPHA installer by
blasting the "boot.fs" onto a scratch disk I have handy, and booting
that instead of continuing to lose with floppies. It works
consistently. The magic for me is:

	boot scsi/sd@0:0

Which is ID 0 on the external SCSI bus (the internal one is "scsi-int").

However, I am at an impasse. I can't seem to format and partition my
internal 4GB ST15150N drive in such a way that everything is happy.
The first time I tried, I ended up with a system that booted off
that, but claimed that the partition table was invalid, and refused
to go further.

The second time, I reformatted the disk with the MacOS 9 version of
"Drive Setup" which has a rather liberal attitude about which disks
it will support (big change from the old days), and that time after I
installed NetBSD, did the installboot dance, made the devices, etc.,
OF claimed that there was no bootable HFS partition (true enough - I
allocated all FFS+swap partitions). Arrrgh.

I want to understand what OF 1.0.5 wants, and what NetBSD/macppc
wants to see on a SCSI disk in order to successfully boot NetBSD. To
wit, what precise partitioning magic (disklabel isn't doing it)?
Which MacOS tool to use for that? What precise commands to give the
tool?

Our installation notes should cover this, of course.

	Erik <fair@clock.org>