Subject: re: booting beige g3
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Eric O'Connell <drd@is.lamefree.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/21/2000 14:59:02
> > .... or not.  My problem is that with those settings, indeed with
> > just about any settings other than default the only response I get is
> >
> > boot: can't OPEN:
>
>    What does your boot-device variable say? Sounds like the nvramrc wasn't
>added.
>Can you repost the output of printenv after running System Disk?

printenv has use nvramrc, load-base 600000, the big long nvramrc that
system disk throws in there, boot-device is ide1/disk@0:0, and
boot-file is netbsd.

> > Also, I know that external Zips do weird things, but why would a SCSI
> > Zip make NetBSD think that I only have one ATA drive?  When I boot
> > with the Zip attached, it only sees my 4gig caviar, not the 13gig IBM:
> >
> > wdc0 at obio offset 0x20000 irq 13      <-- ibm drive
> > wdc1 at obio offset 0x21000 irq 14      <-- western digital
> > wd0 at wdc1 channel 0 drive 0
> >
> > However, without the Zip it seems to find both drives.
>
>    <OPINION> ZIP drives are one of the most evil "SCSI" creations ever
>made, I use it in quotes because
>I don't think they're SCSI implementation is acceptable. I've had them crash
>my Mac just by
>inserting a disk. They make my DECstation's unhappy too, in general I think
>all removable mag
>media generaly needs to be frowned upon, if they worked correctly, there
>would be no reason to
>have driver extensions period. </OPINION>

They don't even have a decent ATA implementation.  On the Dells we
have at work there are about 3 or 4 separate problems we experience
from the Zips that either cause corruption or crashes.  And I won't
even start about the ones on our 8600s....

Eric