Subject: Re: booting beige g3 *I have done it* :-) more problems though
To: Eric O'Connell <eric@dqc.org>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/21/2000 10:45:44
> .... or not.  My problem is that with those settings, indeed with
> just about any settings other than default the only response I get is
>
> boot: can't OPEN:

    What does your boot-device variable say? Sounds like the nvramrc wasn't
added.
Can you repost the output of printenv after running System Disk?

> Also, I know that external Zips do weird things, but why would a SCSI
> Zip make NetBSD think that I only have one ATA drive?  When I boot
> with the Zip attached, it only sees my 4gig caviar, not the 13gig IBM:
>
> wdc0 at obio offset 0x20000 irq 13      <-- ibm drive
> wdc1 at obio offset 0x21000 irq 14      <-- western digital
> wd0 at wdc1 channel 0 drive 0
>
> However, without the Zip it seems to find both drives.

    <OPINION> ZIP drives are one of the most evil "SCSI" creations ever
made, I use it in quotes because
I don't think they're SCSI implementation is acceptable. I've had them crash
my Mac just by
inserting a disk. They make my DECstation's unhappy too, in general I think
all removable mag
media generaly needs to be frowned upon, if they worked correctly, there
would be no reason to
have driver extensions period. </OPINION>