Subject: Re: Booting from PCI cards
To: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
From: Dan Winship <danw@helixcode.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/21/2000 09:44:15
> Next set of questions.  I've got three different PCI cards in my 8500 (two
> asante fast ethernet and an adaptec SCSI).  None of these devices show up
> with 'devalias'.

There are built-in devaliases only for things that come with your Mac.
(onboard devices and cards shipped with the machine from Apple).

Theoretically you can make your own permanent devaliases with the
"nvalias" ("non-volatile alias") OF command, but it doesn't work on my
OF 3.0.1 Blue G3.

> I tried a variety of different commands to boot my
> machine from these cards (none of which worked).  What's the correct
> syntax to boot from them?

> FF83F580:   /pci128a,f001@E  AsanteFAST 10/100 PCI Rev.B,  99-00590-07
>                              webpage says it's supported by linux as a tulip
>                              http://www.asante.com/support/linux/su_linux.html
> FF83F580:   /pci1011,9@D     Asante Fast 10/100 Adapter for PCI,
>                              has DEC 21140-AF chip, PCBA 09-00169-01)

The fact that their names are "/pci*" means they don't have OF ROMs.
So you can't boot off them. (They should be supported by NetBSD once
you boot though, assuming you're running a new enough kernel.)

> FF83F8A0:   /ADPT,2940UW@F   UltraWide SCSI, Firmware 4.1, HBA version 1.0.4a91

based on things elsewhere in your message,

	boot /bandit/ADPT,2940UW@F/@5:0

should work. (Actually, you can abbreviate that to "boot
/bandit/@f/@5:0".)

> BTW, what's the difference between the devalias pci1 and pci2
> (particularly when there are three pci slots)?

They are different PCI busses within the machine. I don't know the
exact setup of the older systems, but I'd guess that one of them has
the on-board PCI devices and the other has the external PCI slots.

-- Dan