Subject: Re: booting beige g3 *I have done it* :-) more problems though
To: Eric O'Connell <eric@dqc.org>
From: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/20/2000 20:19:28

    Ignore my last post on this subject :) For some reason I had cross
connected neurons and thought that I did have a cd0 device alias. Also, one
of my disk utilities calls the CD an ATAPI bus, but System profiler calls it
ata. I honestly don't know a great deal about the IDE world, but I think
ATAPI is an earlier (slower) version of today's IDE, correctly called EIDE.
doing a dev ide1 and then words shows command relating to both ATA and
ATAPI, so I don't know what to think. Sorry about the bad info.
    As of 10 minutes ago I have succesfully booted 1.4.1 on my Beige G3
DT/233 w/96 MB RAM. You need to find Apple's System Disk utility program
from their ftp site for booting MacOS X, run the application and set your
boot device to ide1/disk@0:0 for the usually cdrom bus, or ide/disk@0:0 for
the main HD bus. Your boot file is netbsd. Close the advanced settings
window and click save, then you can quit the program and reboot into OF.
Once there, double check that you have:

auto-boot? your preference
use-nvramrc? true
load-base 600000
boot-device ide/disk@0:0
boot-file netbsd and that there is about a page and a half of code under
nvramrc. (you should see it when you type printenv)

    Now you need to type bye and wait for the grey screen to come up, then
reboot with ctl-cmd-reset and go back into OF, this time typing boot should
have you up and running :)

    My dmesg output(bottom): as you can see there were a few errors relating
to the ata busses. There was also a no active package listed at boot from OF
console, but that didn't seem to do any harm. It was also mentioned earlier
today that sysinst doesn't put your network settings into effect, I had to
cntl-z out of it and set them manually before my network would work.

    Other stuff: X works, but the paths are completly messed up in both the
root rc and /usr/share/skel. If they have been done purposefully not
including /usr/sbin, etc. let me know. XDM would also not let me log in
without having the machine listed in /etc/hosts, I don't think it'll let you
log in without arp in the path. xsm kept core dumping in each account I
tried until it got arp. Also, the console messages seriously mess up the
xdisplay, as they are written overtop of it. Just some notes :) I'm sure
there were more nitpicky things, but hey, its working :) Hopefully I'll be
building a current userland and kernel once I get my pmax box up to current
sources. Nice to see that USB is happy, do we have anything that will print
to a PCL5 printer through a USB->parallel converter yet? I've got a USB
scanner too :)

        Chris

NetBSD 1.4.1 (GENERIC) #1: Wed Aug 11 18:08:32 JST 1999
    tsubai@mint.iri.co.jp:/usr/src/sys/arch/macppc/compile/GENERIC
CPU: 750 (Revision 201)
real mem  = 100663296
avail mem = 88780800
using 1228 buffers containing 5029888 bytes of memory
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0
pci0: i/o enabled, memory enabled
pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0
pchb0: Motorola product 0x0002 (rev. 0x40)
ofb0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0: ATI Technologies product 0x4749
ofb0: 1024 x 768, 8bpp
wsdisplay0 at ofb0: console (std, vt100 emulation)
ohci0 at pci0 dev 15 function 0: Opti RM861HA (rev. 0x10)
ohci0: interrupting at irq 25
ohci0: OHCI version 1.0, legacy support
usb0 at ohci0
uhub0 at usb0
uhub0: Opti OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
ulpt0 at uhub0 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
ulpt0: vendor 0x047e product 0x1001, rev 1.00/1.04, addr 2, iclass 7/1
obio0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0: addr 0xf3000000
mesh0 at obio0 offset 0x10000 irq 12: 50MHz, SCSI ID 7
scsibus0 at mesh0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target
bm0 at obio0 offset 0x11000 irq 42,33: address 00:05:02:6e:31:29
zsc0 at obio0 offset 0x13000: irq 15,16
zstty0 at zsc0 channel 0
zstty1 at zsc0 channel 1
davbus at obio0 offset 0x14000 not configured
swim3 at obio0 offset 0x15000 not configured
nvram0 at obio0 offset 0x60000
wdc0 at obio0 offset 0x20000 irq 13
wd0 at wdc0 channel 0 drive 0: <WDC AC26400B>
wd0: drive supports 16-sector pio transfers, lba addressing
wd0: 6149MB, 13328 cyl, 15 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 12594960 sectors
wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 2
wdc1 at obio0 offset 0x21000 irq 14
wd1 at wdc1 channel 0 drive 0: <WDC AC24300L>
wd1: drive supports 16-sector pio transfers, lba addressing
wd1: 4112MB, 8912 cyl, 15 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 8421840 sectors
wd1: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 2
adb0 at obio0 offset 0x16000 irq 18: 2 targets
aed0 at adb0 addr 0: ADB Event device
akbd0 at adb0 addr 2: extended keyboard
wskbd0 at akbd0: console keyboard
ams0 at adb0 addr 3: 1-button, 100 dpi mouse
wsmouse0 at ams0
ofb1 at pci0 dev 18 function 0: ATI Technologies Mach64 GT
ofb1: 1024 x 768, 8bpp
wsdisplay at ofb1 not configured
wscons: wskbd0 glued to wsdisplay0 (console)
boot device: wd0
root on wd0a dumps on wd0b
no file system for wd0 (dev 0xa00)
cannot mount root, error = 79
root device (default wd0a): wd1a
dump device (default wd1b): wd1b
file system (default generic): ffs
root on wd1a dumps on wd1b
wdc1:0:0: lost interrupt
    type: ata
    c_bcount: 512
    c_skip: 0
wdc1:0:0: setmulti timed out
wd1c: device timeout reading fsbn 0 (wd1 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0), retrying
wd1: soft error (corrected)

--
    "I use to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure..."