Subject: Re: snapshot catches trap (was :floppy booting panic update)
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: Bart van der Ouderaa <b.vander.ouderaa@chello.nl>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/19/2000 23:14:55
>On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Bart van der Ouderaa wrote:
>
>>  > no matter what the snapshot does from
>>  >boot onward I think it's almost by definition _more_ stable than release,
>>
>>  ehm well not really....
>
>that was hilarious!

in some way it was very ironic :) especially considering i got
further in the boot process with previous versions.

>  > db>
>
>they seem to like it if you type 't' when you get this prompt, and post
>the results.  It's supposed to trace back the stack frame, and show
>what the kernel was doing when it panic'ed or failed to catch a trap or
>whatever.

ok, gonna do that. see later on. (mental note: t stands for traceback
at a db prompt), oh i see that it respons to help :)

>  > got it installed and this is what i got  (i'm using snapshot 20000205)
>
>Are you saying the install floppy booted fine, probed the MESH adapter,
>installed the install sets over ftp, and when you rebooted to use your new
>system _then_ it crashed?  I didn't ``get'' this on the first read.

yep, that's exacly what happened, I managed to install the snapshot
(the floppy boots perfectly, installs perfectly).

>If you managed to boot a floppy and install NetBSD on the hard disk, you
>should be very clear about it in your postings--because it narrows down
>the problem:  the install-floppy kernels work, while the kern.tgz GENERIC
>kernels do not.  In that case it may simply be a kernel config option or a
>difference in the bootloaders.

ah ok, I'll try to be clearer next time.
ok here's the complete stuff including traceback

0 > boot scsi-int/sd@0:0
>>  NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.2
>>  (tsubai@moeko, Sun Feb  6 23:24:18 JST 2000)
2596652+211440 [100+97520+81624]=0x2d97d4
  start=0x100000
Copyright (c) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000
     The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
     The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

trap type 700 at ff8099b8
Stopped in  at  cpu_Debugger+0x10:      lwz r0, r1, 0x14,
db> t
at trap+54c
at ddblow+e0
at end+ffc526e0
at OF_write+84
at ofw_stack+44
saved LR(0x2e) is invalid.
db>

Bart van der Ouderaa
mailto:b.vander.ouderaa@chello.nl
http://members1.chello.nl/~b.vander.ouderaa/

Pokemon is a game where children go into the woods and capture furry
little creatures and then bring them home and teach them to pit fight.