Subject: Re: NetBSD bootable CDs
To: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/18/2000 09:36:38
> On my Powerbook G3 Bronze (Lombard) this allows me to boot a kernel off
the CD (this
> is the 400 MHz, so the drive is actually a DVD drive). It proceeds to
probe devices,
> but turns the light on the screen down to
grey-on-nearly-the-same-shade-of-gray, but
> it is just possible to follow the boot process. It does not recoginize its
boot device
> (the HFS part of the CD) and asks for root and swap partitions, then for
file system
> type. Then it just stops -- no messages, no nothing... Any explanation ?

    Is it possibly sending the console elsewhere?

> A second question: How does I boot from the CD on my Beige G3, DT 233MHz?
> It has no cd devalias:

    That's odd, I have a rev1 Beige G3 DT 233 with OF 2.0f1 and I have a cd
devalias...
If both of those fail, you might consider reseting your PRAM and/or issue
set-defaults to
see if it reappears.

> ide0                /pci/mac-io/ide@20000
> ide                 /pci/mac-io/ide@20000
> ata-int             /pci/mac-io/ide@20000
> ide1                /pci/mac-io/ide@21000

    It should be ata-int, but try ide1 as well. IIRC, the CD on my system
was based at
/pci/mac-io/ide@22000 and not at 21000. Does MacOS report it as an ATAPI
device
or an IDE device? (Is there really any difference between base IDE and
ATAPI?)
I can double check when I get home if its useful.

    Chris