Subject: Compiling a customized kernel ...
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Volker Bradatsch <bradatsch@mouseclick-estates.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/17/2000 13:24:47
Hello !

System : MacPPC 8500/180, 176 MB RAM

After successfully installing NetBSD on an external SCSI-disk (sd0) all
attempts to boot from hard disk failed with the well known problem
"panic : startup cannot allocate VM for buffers".
Since i didn't like the idea of removing some ram i followed the
suggestions "how to build a new kernel" according to the procedure
described in the FAQ.
Unfortunately, I have no way to boot NetBSD through any other machine or
netboot it, so i booted the boot floppy kernel, used the shell and
mounted all existing partitions of my harddrive (/usr=sd0g, /var=sd0h,
/home=sd0f) on the respective mountpoints of the boot file system and
simulated all missing files of my "harddisk root ( / )" through symbolic
links.
I also followed all other instructions of the "how to", but when it
comes to cd to "../compile/my_new_kernel" to run "make depend" it
initially seems to go well but in the end, i usually receive the error :

Segmentation fault - core dumped
*** Error code 139

I also got an error after running make (i ran it once because i probably
missed the error code line after running "make depend") which told me
that "relocation is not supported by system" but this might be a sort of
follow-up error due to missing dependencies in the makefile.

Does anybody know why this error is generated and how to avoid it or, on
the other hand, how to build a customized kernel when access to the
newly installed system is only available through an explicit mount after
using the bootfloppy kernel ?
Otherwise i won't get NetBSD to boot from harddisk, unless i decide to
get rid of some RAM (which, as I said, wouldn't prefer because I do lots
of graphics under MacOS and its still slow enough).

Thanks in advance to everybody

-- Volker