Subject: Re: 1.4.2 install notes
To: Simon Baker <S.Baker@ukerna.ac.uk>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/14/2000 14:48:51
On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Simon Baker wrote:

> Oh, BTW it's one of those wonderful G3's everybody raves^H^H^Hnts about....

Which one?  The Beige, the Blue Box, the iMac, or the Revision 2 iMac?
All differ in relevant ways.

Of those, I think the Beige is the only one that can boot from a floppy.
All the others use USB floppy drives, and I don't think you can boot over
USB.  Please correct me, though.

I think the simplest booting option for Mac's is going to turn out to be
the CD-ROM, because that's how Apple boots their OS.  Blank CD's cost
about as much as blank floppys, and all the machines come with CD-ROM's
that can boot.

FWIW I haven't heard much G3 ranting, at least not among people who've
owned Mac's before.  I spend a lot of time trying to convince people
what's good and bad, so if you have problems with your G3 I'd benefit from
hearing about them off the list.

--
Miles Nordin / v:+1 720 841-8308 fax:+1 530 579-8680
555 Bryant Street PMB 182 / Palo Alto, CA 94301-1700 / US