Subject: Re: 1.4.2 install notes
To: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
From: SUNAGAWA Keiki <Keiki_SUNAGAWA@yokogawa.co.jp>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/14/2000 15:32:08
Hi,

Michael Wolfson <mw@ee.cornell.edu> wrote:

Michael> On Sun, 13 Feb 2000 Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no
Michael> wrote:

>> If you want to boot from the network, you can use
>>
>> boot enet:0

Michael> On older machines (such as my 8500), it's only 'boot
Michael> enet'.

The implementation of Open Firmware changed enough to be
hard to work with.  Some firmware update is available for a
kind of iMac, though (I don't know the details).

Michael> In any case, it doesn't work -- My 8500 downloads
Michael> the XCOFF bootloader, and attempts to load the
Michael> kernel, but never passes the file name of the
Michael> kernel to the host tftpd.

Michael> Any ideas?  Once I get this working, I'll (finally)
Michael> fill in the dhcpd section of the diskless how-to.

What's in your configuration file?  I'm afraid it depends on
the version of Open Firmware (I tried it on original iMac
and iBook), but in my experience, both of ofwboot.elf and
ofwboot.xcf worked nicely.

--
SUNAGAWA Keiki <Keiki_SUNAGAWA@yokogawa.co.jp>